Monday, July 23, 2012

Predicting Baby's Sex

So, today is the day of our ultrasound.  Neither Jen or I are good with keeping things a surprise, we're also both fairly type-A and like to be prepared, so we didn't even really have to think twice whether we'd find out the baby's sex.  (We'll tell you as soon as we know. ;) )

I've gone back and forth in thinking of this baby as a girl or a boy.  Right now I'm leaning towards thinking it's a boy mainly for two reasons:
1) It was explained to us by another lesbian mother that the way they time IUIs, the chances of conceiving a boy are higher.  (They are timed to happen AT ovulation, and XY sperm swim faster.)
2) The heart rate is low, and it's an old wives' tale that low heart rate = boy.  Sprout's last check up had him/her clocking in a 144bpm, and according to lore below 140 indicates a boy, but to me 144 seems close enough. 

Just for fun, here are some other old wives' tales for predicting sex: 
-If you're carrying low, it's a girl.  If you're carrying high, it's a boy. 
I think I'm carrying high.
-If your linea nigra only goes up to your belly button, you're having a girl.  If it goes up above your belly button, it's a boy.
No line yet.
-If your left breast is larger, you're having a girl.  If your right one is larger, you're having a boy.
I refuse to say. 
-If you break out, you're having a girl.  If your skin is clear, you're having a boy.
I've probably been slightly less broken out than usual.
-If you are experiencing severe pregnancy sickness, you're having a girl.  No sickness, you're having a boy.
I felt pretty wretched for a while.  Medication helped.  The past few weeks I haven't been taking any pills and don't feel 100%, but certainly don't feel as bad as I did before.  Except for this morning when I vomited all over myself.  It was about as lovely as it sounds. 
-If you crave sweet foods you're having a girl.  If you crave salty or sour foods you're having a boy.
I'm probably craving more sweet than salty foods, but that's usual for me.
-If you pee on baking soda and it doesn't fizz you're having a girl.  If it fizzes, you're having a boy.
Didn't do this one.
-Take a ring, attach it to a thread and have someone hold it over your belly.  If it swings in a circular motion, you're having a girl.  If it moves back and forth, you're having a boy.
Or this one.
-A Chinese Calendar will predict the baby's sex based on your age and the month your baby was conceived. 
Or this one.

I think I come out neutral based on those "predictors", but either way, I'd have a 50/50 chance of being right. 

So, what to you guys think, is The Bean going to have a little sister or a little brother?

8 comments:

  1. So exciting that you will find out today! I say boy. Not sure why, I just have a feeling. It's true that the timing of IUI's results in boys more often, or so I've heard and it certainly seems that way from all the people I know/blogs I read. But several have had girls so you never know! Either way I can't wait to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No idea, but i'll guess girl! We inseminated the day before ovulation with Rosa, so I guess that fits with your theory. With Charlie it was the day of ovulation ;)
    Very excited to hear!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are making me lean toward boy but my first thought when I saw the title was girl. So I will stick with girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you had used those indicators in our case, everything would've been 50/50 boy/girl. Curly's heart rate was in the 150's to 170's. Can't wait to find out what you're having!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We were told by RE that IUI's typically do produce more boys (Called the Shettles Method). I am leaning toward boy, but a girl would be super exciting as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are more likely to err on the side of science on this - I did and I was right. My donor visited 4 days before I ovulated and that meant that we were likely having a girl. We did indeed have a girl. The other stuff was all hit or miss, but at least you didn't list the Drano predictor and didn't try it. Everyone told me to try that one and it just didn't seem very safe to me :P Good luck at the ultrasound though. I look forward to hearing what you are having. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We did the ring on string over belly and it CLEARLY went back and forth. It was right! It is all fun stuff though. Can't wait to hear the results.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I say girl! Just so you know, we did IUI for all our pregnancies (with diff donors too) and ended up with 4 girls!!!

    ReplyDelete