Monday, October 15, 2012

*Navalgazing* Reflections at 31(+2) Weeks Pregnant

I guess I'm a little late it getting to this week's update (again).  There's really not too much new to report.  I had a midwife appointment this morning and things continue to progress as they should.  They drew blood to test my iron levels and I'm a little sore where I got poked.  I think I was spoiled by the expert lab techs at the fertility clinic. 

Just over two months to our due date seems a lifetime away, but I know the time between now and then will pass quickly.  It doesn't feel like there's a lot we need to do to prepare this time around, which I suppose is a good thing, but does leave me feeling slightly antsy.  Last week I sorted some of the newborn clothes into the dresser in the nursery and a portable Sterilite drawer thingy.  We plan on having Sprout room with us for the first several months, and so decided having some of her basics easily accessible would be a good idea.  We don't want to have to go into The Bean's room and disrupt his sleep if she spits up during the night. 

The past week has brought on some back pain.  I'm not sure if it's how I'm walking or how I'm sleeping or what, but I've been quite uncomfortable.  Heat patches and massages seem to help, but if it continues much longer I think I'll book a chiro appointment. 

I've been trying to think of the due date as being two and a half months away, rather than two, so that if I go late, I'm not too anxious about it.  I've also been trying to think of any aches and pains (back, leg, etc.) as good practice for labour.  Silly maybe, but there's really not much I can do to prepare myself for what I might feel then, and I figure practicing with these (comparitively little) pains now might help, though I haven't completely ruled out the idea of an epidural. 

A final note, I don't usually complain about family here (I think) but I have to say that my mother is driving me CRAZY asking us about the baby's name and offering unsolicitied advice on what both good and bad names for her would be.  As with The Bean, Jen and I are trying to agree on a short list that we'll be able to choose from once Sprout is born and I feel like we've made some progress finding names that we both like based on all our various criteria (now it sounds with middle and last name, how it sounds with The Bean's name, nickname options, overall popularity etc.)  I really don't appreciate my mother telling me that she hopes we'll use my Oma's name (we don't plan on it) or that we won't pick something like Jewel or Princess (also, not in the plans).  Ugh!  We've told her that there won't be any final decisions made until she's born, yet every time I see or talk to her our unborn child's name seems to be one of the first things she brings up.

Anyway, here's the 31(+2) week belly. 

8 comments:

  1. Sorry that your mom is bugging you so much about the name. That's annoying. That's the exact reason Kim and I kept our names a secret from everyone until our kids were born. We didn't want anyone's opinions on the names we'd chosen. We knew they were the names we wanted and we didn't want to get all caught up in what other people thought of them. We got a LOT of pressure about the middle name from Kim's mom both times. She wanted the middle name to be James since our dads are both names James, but we wanted to name Erik after my brother. I think she was disappointed when he was born and we told her his middle name was after my brother, and she even suggested we could give him two middle names, which Kim was completely against. So annoying! With Ian she got her wish and we gave him the middle name James, which was our plan all along if we had another boy anyway. Don't give in to the pressure. Choose the name you guys want for your baby. Like Kim said to her mom, they already got to name their babies, now it's your turn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We kept our name with LM secret for a long time because everyone seems to have an opinion about names. We will probably do the same with #2. So I understand the asking and constantly talking about it is annoying. I am sure you and Jen will pick the name that is perfect for Sprout and anyone else's opinion really does not matter ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Shannon. We, too, didn't share the name we wanted with anyone. Not even the nurses when we checked in to give birth lol. Good for you for sticking to your guns. Why don't people realize that they more they push, the more resistance they get?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Shannon. We, too, didn't share the name we wanted with anyone. Not even the nurses when we checked in to give birth lol. Good for you for sticking to your guns. Why don't people realize the more they push, the more resistance they get?

    ReplyDelete
  5. We too, had some similar battles with family members. Funny enough, like Strawberry, we wouldn't even divulge the girls names to the anesthesiologist who gave me the epidural! He was pressuring me too! At the end of the day, you can never make everyone happy!

    As for the back pain, I saw a chiro and it worked wonders. I had awful back/leg pain from about 14 weeks onward.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Belly looks great! I'm also battling with my mother over this little one's name. My brother named his two sons names that are FAR OUT, so she keeps telling me that she hopes I won't put her through that again. I've been pretty strong in not sharing anything but we did get into a casual conversation about names and the one we're 99% sure we'll use randomly came up and she said she wasn't a fan. Too bad. Not your child.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear you are feeling good, well as good as one can at 30 weeks pregnant!

    As for the name battle, I think everyone goes through it. Both of our boys were named AFTER they were born. We had a list of names we liked but wanted to wait until we met them. Poor Noah went 2 weeks without a name. We thought he would be Baby brother forever! My experience has just been to nod and smile and say thank you, we will put that on the list. They mean well, and just want to feel included in a very exciting event. Good luck and whichever name you choose will be perfect because it was given with thought and love!

    Jennifer---dark blue dragon

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete